Bio-Dynamic Agricultural Association of Southern Africa
FARMING FOR THE FUTURE
P O Box 494
Tel: (011) 445-6016
Fax: (011) 445-6113
May 2002 P R O G R A M M E
PETER PROCTORÕS VISIT :
9 - 29 MAY 2002
The time has arrived for Organic and bio Dynamic farming to be taken seriously, the demand is growing, but the organic produce available is lacking in variety and quantity.
During the past year many farms have been certified and several are in conversion, yet there must be hundreds of conventional farmers who have now finally discovered that conventional farming, with the ever increasing cost of fertilisers, herbicides and pesticides, decreasing soil fertility, and increased risk of bankruptcy indicates a need for change, the question is how. In countries like Australia, New Zealand as well as a number of European countries this conversion is in full swing. In South Africa this is not yet the case, mainly due to the fact that there are too few visible economic success stories.
We were therefore very fortunate to have met the experienced, practical and successful New Zealand Bio Dynamic and Organic farmer, lecturer and author, Peter Proctor, who put Organic and Bio Dynamic farming on the map first in New Zealand and now also the Philippines and India. The latter countries having provinces with very similar climatic conditions as we have in South Africa. Peter Proctor has agreed to visit South Africa from 9 May to 29 May 2002 and his programme will be, in principle, as follows :
Unfortunately this visit has already taken place for anyone interested to know more please contact the details above.
BIO DYNAMIC FARMING. IT CAN HELP TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL ORGANIC FARM TOPICS COVERED
1. How can the soil structure be re-established in degraded soils using Bio Dynamic / Organic methods
2. Cow Pat Pit is being widely used in India with great success in quickly building soil fertiliser and as a strengthening of plants particularly fruit trees.
3. How can quality crops be successfully grown without the use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides using Bio Dynamic Methods. For Bio Dynamic farmers and very interested people : "An introduction to the making and use of the biodynamic preparations 500 to 508 in composts Liquid Manures and Cow Pat Pit".
4. We can do practicals of all the Preparation making and also the making of Compost and Liquid Manures and Cow Pat Pit > Also tree pasting in orchards.
5. How to make of BD composts, Liquid manures and Cow Pat Pit and the best way to use them in crop production.
6. Crop rotation and Green manure using BD systems as a method of maintaining soil fertility and consequent insect and fungus control.
7. Using the Bio Dynamic Planting Calendar in agriculture with an understanding of how to use the rhythms of Sun, Moon and planets for successful growing.
a. To confirm your interest to participate and where, name and email address and telephone number.
b. To advise in which subjects you are interested in
c. To send us names of farmers you may think would be interested to know more and who would require information.
d. If you are willing to help in your area.
Our email is email@example.com
G M C WERTHEIM AYMES
For the Bio Dynamic Initiative Committee